ALWAYS USE PROPER RESPRITORY PROTECTION WHEN WORKING WITH CARBON FIBER DUST OF ANY KIND
- Safety & HandlingPrepreg is a composite material consisting of epoxy resins combined with glass, carbon fibers or fabric. Epoxy resins are sensitizers that can cause allergic dermatitis or skin allergy. Avoid direct handling or the material as much as possible.
Once the material is cured, it is considered non-allergenic. Any dust created in the machining or finishing of the cured material should be considered nuisance dust.
Carbon fibers and dusts are electrically conductive. Electrical equipment and machinery should be isolated to protect from damage.
Working with these materials may cause problems such as:
- Skin irritation and allergic dermatitis
- Electrical hazards
- Respiratory irritation
- Read the MSDS before handling.
- Personnel should wear goggles, facemasks, gloves and protective clothing wherever dust generation is significant.
- Local removal of dust at the point of generation is highly effective.
- Routine particle concentration testing is recommended.
- Electrical equipment should be isolated.
- Do not incinerate carbon fiber. Dispose of waste in properly permitted landfills and in accordance with local, state and federal regulations.